Main Article Content
Energy ratio analysis of various methods and technology of biodiesel production is needed to get an idea of the effectiveness of the method or technology used. This study aims to analyze the energy ratio in the biodiesel production process with a continuous static mixing reactor. RE2 values for biodiesel production using a continuous static mixing reactor with catalysts 0.3% (w/w) and 0.5% (w/w), respectively are 0.94 and 1.03. The addition of the number of modules to achieve the conversion rate required in accordance with SNI-7182 (2018) can increase the energy ratio to 1.10 in the use of catalysts 0.3% (w/w), and 1.09 with the use of a 0.5% catalyst (w/w). The energy ratio value with the addition of the module is about 10% higher than the ratio value for the bacth method using a 1% catalyst and the SMV method without catalyst.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- Joelianingsih, Maeda H, Nabetani H, Sagara Y, Soerawidjaya TH, Tambunan AH, Abdullah K. 2008. Biodiesel fuels from palm oil via the noncatalytic transesterification in a bubble column reactor at atmospheric pressure: a kinetic study. Renewable Energy. 33(7): 1629 1636.
- Kusdiana D, Saka S. 2001. Metil esterification of free fatty acids of rapeseed oil as treated in supercritical methanol. J Chem Eng Japan. 34(3): 383 387.
- Naderloo, Leila, Hossein Javadikia, Mostafa Mostafaei. 2017. Modeling the energy ratio and productivity of biodiesel with different reactor dimensions and ultrasonic power using ANFIS.Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 70:56–64
- Reyes J, Malverde P, Melin P, Bruijn JD. 2010. Biodiesel production in a jet flow stirred reactor. Fuel 89:3093-3098.
- Saka Shiro, Dadan Kusdiana, Eiji Minami. 2006. Non-catalytic biodiesel fuel production with supercritocal methanol technologies. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Reseacrh 65:420-425.
- Sandouqa Arwa, Al-Hamamre Zayed. 2018. Energy Analysis of Biodiesel production from Jojoba Seed Oil. Renewable Energy 2018. Accepted manuscript journal.
- Santacesaria H, Serio M Di, Tesser R, Turco R, Tortorelli, Russo V,. 2012. Biodiesel Process Intensification in Very Simple Microchannel Device. Chemical Engineering and Processing:ProcessIntensification 52 (2012) 47-54.
- Sari SP, Tambunan AH, dan Lilik PEN, 2016. Penggunaan pengaduk statik untuk pengurangan kebutuhan katalis dalam produksi biodiesel. Jurnal Teknologi Industri Pertanian Vol 26, No 3 (2016)
- Sigalingging R. 2008. Analisis Energi dan Eksergi pada Produksi Biodiesel Berbahan Baku CPO (Crude Palm Oil). [Tesis]. Bogor (ID): Institut Pertanian Bogor.
- Somnuk, Krit. Prasit Tanongsak, Prateepchaikul Gumpon. 2017. Effects of mixing technologies on continuous methyl ester production: Comparison of using plug flow, static mixer, and ultrasound clamp. Energy Conversion and Management 140: 91–97
- Stavarache C, Vinatoru M, Maeda Y. 2007. Aspects of ultrasonically assisted transesterification of various vegetable oil with methanol. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 14:380-386
- Tambunan, A.H, Furqon, Joelianingsih, Araki T, Nabetani H. 2012. Analisis Rasio Energi Daur Ulang Panas pada Produksi Biodiesel Secara Non-Katalitik. Jurnal Ilmu Pertanian Indonesia (JIPI), Agustus Vol. 17 (2): 70-76
- Tambunan AH, 2015. Metoda Eksergi Pada Perancangan Sistem Termal Untuk Industri Pertanian. Laporan Penelitian LPPM IPB.
- Tambunan AH, Nitamiwati NPD, Nugroho LPE, 2018. Potential Catalyst Reduction by Enhancement of Mixing using static mixing reactor for biodiesel production. Asean Conference Biomass Science. 2018.
- Valentin Ples, Joan Subirana Puigcasas, Guillem Benet Surroca, Jordi Bonet, Alexandra E. Bonet Ruiz, Alexandru Tuluc, Joan Llorens. 2014. Process intensification in biodiesel production with energy reduction by pinch analysis. Energy (2014) 1-15
- Wu P, Yang Y, Colucci J, Grulke E. 2007. Effect of ultrasonication on droplet size in biodiesel mixtures. American oil chemist society 84:877-884
- Yadav A, Singh O, Kumar N. 2010. Evaluation of energy ratios for karanja and neem biodiesel life cycle. S-JPScle. S-JPSET. 1(1): 55 59.